The local architectural style is characterized by low houses of dark red bricks and strong white cornices and large hipped tile roofs. This architectural style replaced old time timber frame and thatched roofs from the end of the 16th century and now represents the oldest buildung in the old street system. Remains of timber frame can still be seen in some gateways and a few house bays in the by streets. It was the town´s merchants who introduced the architectural style. The time around the 1800 was influenced by the Napoleonic wars. The merchants earned a lot of money on the shipping trade, and could therefore afford to renew their big farms in Algade and Østergade.
In the middle of the 17th century the west Jutland architectural style was absolute both in the town and in the countryside. When the absolute monarchy was annulled in 1849 a new form of commercial life started in the town. Many farms and houses in Ringkøbing weregradually parcelled out to shops and in Algade came characteristic two-storied buildings. With the opening of the railway line and the early industrialization the local architectural styles were superseded.
The architect Ulrik Plesner ( 1861-1933 )
Plesner is known for his works in Skagen and in Copenhagen. In 1905 he was commissioned to build an offical residence for the mayor in Ringkøbing and registry of the court, Kongevejen 10. He got inspiration from the town and the old farms in the area, and therefore the old west Jutland architectural style was revived. He got more work: The wood building at the harbour in 1906, rebuilding Højskolehjemmet in 1906, Aldershvile in 1907, the school in 1910, the Ringkøbing-Ørnhøj railway stations in 1911-25, Sparekassen in Østergade and Priorgården in Vestergade in 1913. Plesner became a model for other master builders and architects, and brick houses with west Jutland style character were built all over the country. His assistant architect Kristian Jensen got many jobs in Ringkøbing, e.g. Ringkjøbing Amts Dagblad in St. Blichersvej and Nørrehus in 1913.