The old main radial road to the north ended at Nørreport, and mid-17th century was replaced by Nygade. The small house no. 40 has lain right outside Nørreport and is called the Octroi. It was built in 1807 as a forge. Originally in timber frame, later converted into foundation wall. In the 1820s became consumption house with living-quarters for officer, up to 1852 was used to collect taxes on goods brought into town. Therefore the name Octroi has stuck.
The newer administration buildings, towards the railway station, is built by Ringkøbing County, after the abolition of the countries a national tax-centre, amongst others, has moved in No. 11, with the bay, is the Søren Harpøth house, built around 1790. In 1844, Sparekassen, the first bank in town, emerged here. As the space gradually beacme too small, the Sparekasse´s partof the merchant´s house was torn down and in 1913 replaced by the big building no. 9, designed by Plesner. The lower floor in new Søren Harpøth´s merchant house. After several years of housing accounting companies Østergade 9 was bought by Ringkjøbing Landbobank, who in 2005 carried out a nice restoration. Gartnerslippen is several hundred year old passage-way, which went through to the town filed. On the corner of Nørregade you meet one of maybe the most know houses in town " Den gamle Købmandsgaard " ( see Nørregade ). Østergade 34 in two floors, were originally two brick houses, which in 1874 and 1875 was heightened and etablished as " The Railway Hotel ", thereafter " Hotel Royal " and since flats. Next door a small gable house, originally timber frame, around 1800 etablished as factory for wool carding, an important product for the moor land tracts.